Friday, December 13, 2013

A Walk to School Part 9

At the school, I see what you would expect at any school- children walking with with friends and gathering before the bell rings.



But today is Monday and so there is an Assembly.

The younger children gather in straight lines by class, and they begin to sing which helps to keep order while they wait for the Assembly to begin.  This day the older children have been excused from Assembly because they are starting their exams this morning.

The schools are supposed to be secular and there is a movement that petitioned the government to make the schools Christian again (it was turned down).  I was surprised to hear church hymns, I guess because that is what is familiar to the children leading the songs. They also pray the Lord's prayer. The schools teach a class in religion.  I have observed that the materials for the lower grades is heavily influenced by Christian stories.

My attempt at artistry? or perhaps I just forgot to focus the lens on the children in Assembly lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment