Monday, December 9, 2013

A Break from the Walk to school- Critter update

For anyone who might have been a little surprised or even dubious about my statement in the last post about watching where I was walking - on the path, road and under the trees for snakes to drop out, here is the latest critter update.

One night when the electricity was off because of the lightening, I decided to go to bed early- 8:00 pm no lights, may as well!  I heard two gun shots from the house across the way.  I know that they sometimes shoot to scare away baboons or goats, so I wasn't too concerned.

The next morning, Vanessa texted me- if you aren't busy, come see the snake!  Grabbed my camera and walked over.  There it was in all its glory.

Seeing how long it is- that is my size 6 tennis shoe. Later Om Jon got the tape measure and it was 90 cm!

You can see the gun shot underneath.

Om Jon told Vanessa to pick it up and put it in the bucket. She did as she was told but shuttered and squealed the whole time!


Vanessa said it was dark with no electricity, but because Dexter kept barking, Om Jon when to see what was up.  There in front of Zoe's sleeping cage was a 90 cm long PUFF ADDER.  Om Jon shot once, they sprayed it with chemicals, and finally beat it on the head with a shovel.  It did NOT want to die.  Dexter (little white dog in some of my previous pictures) saved Zoe's (black dachshund) life no doubt.

But now Vanessa says we need to watch for the Puff Adder's mate.  And I said I just hope they didn't have eggs so we have "cute little baby" puff adders running/slithering around.

By the way, in case you wondered- yes I did touch it and it was very rough on the top- the scales feel like they are bent up around the edges.  On the bottom the scales are smooth- long and thin rather than diamond shaped and run horizontal and when you life them up there is a soft skin underneath.  It looks like they move with the snake as it crawls.

One week later I was called to come and see the python that was as big as a truck tire.  Unfortunately one of the guys decided to throw rocks at it to scare it away and I didn't get there in time to take pictures (sorry Kyle and Tyler!).  Then Geraldo said he saw a cobra when he was coming in the gate to the church property and it raised up threateningly but he ran away.  We have had rain and the bush is starting to grow in some places.  So the critters are coming out!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Loletta,
    You are a BRAVE SOUL. Ouch, that snake gives me the willies -- but wonderful that you confront your fear. I would have a very hard time doing so. I guess they are a fact of life where you are.
    I keep thinking about you and beaming you all sorts of vibes. In using our atlas recently to look up places associated with Nelson Mandela, I of course looked over at Namibia and found Kalkfeld and thought, isn't it something? I know someone there! A new lesson in how missionary work extends one's reach.
    So God bless you for being where you are!
    As for where we are, UCUC is busily trotting along under Jane Heckles. Our 50th anniversary kicks off on Jan. 5th, which is exciting and of course there's loads of Christmas music and stuff. I'm having the Adult Ed (Growing SPirit ) committee here Wed. evening for a meeting (5 minutes, probably) and party ( several hours!) -- by coincidence it includes a lovely bunch of my favorite people from the church.

    Chilly for San Diego this morning -- 30 degrees -- but not as cold as other parts of the country. We're in a good place!
    I keep thinking of you, Loletta, and will send love and warm vibes all through Advent -- more soon -- Blessings! Sally B

    ReplyDelete