Friday, November 1, 2013

On the Road Again and Special Delights

I get a ride to Otjiwarango every three weeks- sometimes twice a month, depending upon who might be going that way.  Garrett sometimes passes through when he is going to work up north.  We go early in the morning.  I go to the bank, get groceries and supplies, go to the post office and the cell phone store for credit for my phone and computer, and generally walk around town (those who know me know I am not a shopper but I look at things and people).  I try to talk to everyone I see and wish them a nice day.  Some of the store owners now recognize me.  I have lunch at a nice little cafe or at Wimpy's to while away the time and they let me sit and read.  When people get home from work and have had dinner and family time I go and see one family that I can walk to.  Sometimes others from the church come there and we can visit.  Then I wait for a ride back.  

Usually it is long after dark because Garrett works long hours.  Then he uses his kudu light (a yellow flashing light), that he says keeps the kudus away.  These very large, very high jumping antelope are deadly when you hit them or when they jump onto the hood or on the windshield of the truck.  There can also be warthogs, duiker (tiny deer), oryx, gemsbok, springbok, and guinea hens near the road side because the grass is cut there and the tubers of the grass (which hold moisture and are sweeter) are easier to get to.  They all cross the road when they feel like it and don't seem to care if there is a truck coming at 110 kph

Just getting on the road heading from Kalkfeld to Otjiwarango.


Later that week Vanessa brought me a beautiful arrangement of flowers from her grandmother Poppy.  I was very touched to have such a lovely gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment