Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Little Rain

 For a couple of days in a row we have had a storm between 4 and 6 pm.  It brought a little rain.  A very little unfortunately for the crops and animals and water table.   All it really did was mark the dusty ground where it fell.  But at least the roof of the sanctuary didn't leak so we have a little more time to get started on the repairs!
.
 But it also brought a lot of wind and a lot of lightning and thunder.  I heard there were two women hit by lightning near the center of the settlement and they were taken to Windhoek- four hours from here in the capital where the big hospital is so it was serious.  

I enjoyed watching the lightning but it was quite intimidating. Several people I talked to said they are very scared of lightning.  I guess for good reason!  The storms reminded me of the lightning in Johannesburg, South Africa.
  
Then a little while after our last lightning strike here, it must have struck somewhere else. The power went out from 6 pm to 2 pm the next day.  

As the rainy/storm season is coming I have made a reminder to self- DO NOT GO OUT WALKING IF A STORM COULD COME UNLESS YOU KNOW YOU CAN GET TO A SAFE PLACE.  Since everything is so open and far apart here, I think that might limit my walking a bit... 




No comments:

Post a Comment