Saturday, November 9, 2013

Internal Diversity?

I don't know what kind of tree this is.  I was told.  I was told about all the different trees in the yard. They are all fruit bearing.  Oranges, nectarines, lemons, persimmons, kumquats, pomegranate and several other things I cannot remember- since there are twenty four trees and some of the names were in Afrikaans since they couldn't remember the English word.  Maybe it is a pomegranate. 

The house sat vacant for twelve years before I came to live here so they didn't get watered.  So the fruit will be a long time in coming. I water them at least once a week when I do the laundry.  A good soaking for five to ten minutes until the moat around them has filled several times.  I know it is not enough.  I apologize to them but I tell them there is a drought you know.
  
But this tree has decided not only to blossom a little, but to blossom in three colors, or at least three distinctly different shades of color.  It is not a variation due to the size of the size and extent of the opening of the blossoms.  They are three different colors. 

I looked a the tree and there are several different branches that appear to come from one trunk.  I swear I didn't see three trunks (I do admit I didn't root around down there with a hand or a foot- there are snakes and scorpions and spiders here!)  Maybe they did some grafting, I will have to ask Garrett.


Light orange

Medium orange

Red

No comments:

Post a Comment