Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Every Day Critters and Unwelcome Guests

You gotta love this sweet face.  She is the youngster of the herd of ten that wanders around here every day looking desperately for food and mooooing at me to give them the hay from the yard.  You know them, when I call Garrett because they have jumped the fences and gotten in trouble, they are "my" cows. 



But just in time for Halloween- as the children and I were drawing jack-o-lanterns, bats, witches and such, I found out we didn't need to bother making up spiders.  I sat down at the kitchen table that night at my computer and on the wall was this guy.  Yes I could see his pinchers across the room.


I sprayed and caught him.  Here's some perspective on just how large he was.  This is regular size lined notebook paper.



Being a pacifist and a respecter of nature, I took him and threw him out the door and told him to stay out and tell all his creepy friends to stay out too.  This is my space, that is your space.  I thought we had an agreement.

Then I went in the bedroom to put on my pajamas and found his little brother in there.  Brother didn't make it as far as the door.  Sorry, but I sleep better alone.

Later I showed these pictures to folks around here.  They are distinctly unhelpful. They don't tell me how to keep them out of the house.  They just say, "Oh, that's a really bad one." And, "Be careful I think those are dangerous." (spider- spinecopa)  I tried looking them up on the internet.  I couldn't find them.  I found too many other creepy crawlies and decided that it is probably safer if I just assume they are all dangerous and stay away from them.

It's spring, and the children have already found one snake (slang) dropping out of the trees in my yard.  I don't know if it was just your garden variety slang or one of the puff adders or mambas around here.  I didn't want to get that close.  Now who do I call when I jump the fences?

No comments:

Post a Comment