Wednesday, November 6, 2013

An Opportunity at one of the Schools

I offered at both schools to help teachers with children who were having trouble reading or with math.  I was hoping the nearer school would take me up on my offer since the children from the church go there and they use both English and Afrikaans in instruction (and I thought I might get some Afrikaans in the bargain).  But they did not and the other school did.

The Kalkfeld Primary School is Pre-Primary to 8th grade.  The primary languages of instruction are Khosa and Otjiherero with a required class in English.  I have been reading stories, singing and teaching a little bit of English and reading to the 1st and 2nd graders.  I think the Principal wants them to have exposure to a native English speaker.  It has been a very fun opportunity in spite of the walk at noontime (50 minutes one way in the Namibia sun!).  The period I read is technically their free period so they could go home, but I am happy that they are willing to stay and enjoy stories and singing with me.

One week they had a spelling bee and a debate each day during the afternoon for the whole school.

Here are some first graders.

Some second graders.

The whole first grade 71 children.

The whole school- about 300 children.

They started with the younger grades 1-3 with the spelling bee. This is one of the first grade teachers.

Some of the older kids.


Instead of the traditional spelling, the teachers were very imaginative and had word recognition for the younger students, including matching the names of animals, putting parts of sentences in the correct order, matching the names with parts of a tree, and the third graders read for the crowd.

The games were in English, Khosa and Otjiherero.  The children were very supportive of the few who were picked to demonstrate their skills this very first spelling bee!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment