Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Walk to School Part 1

Now that I have been here six months I thought I would take another photographic tour of life here.  It begins with Monday and a walk to the G K Wahl Combined School (K-10) with the children who live on the church property.  I started walking them to school for safety reasons but find it is a good time to check in with them and spend time with them talking about important things.  It is a 30 minute walk to the school.

It starts at 6:20 when Chantell leaves her Ouma's (grandmother's- Auntie Lokie's) house.  She is very punctual!  (House is on left, small tourquoise dot center right is Chantell in her school warm up jacket).



 I watch for her and walk out to the gate to meet her.


She and I walk together to the property gate (center) which is past the new and old (right) worship buildings.


Most of the time (like today) William, Sharifa and Geraldo are waiting for us.  Sometimes they are running behind and we have to go get them.


We cross the cattle guard (carefully).  As physically active as Sharifa is, she still has trouble with walking on the guard.  She has tried to hold on to me for balance- NOT a good idea I explained to her- she has much more experience (and balance) than I do!


And we turn off the road and toward the bush- starting down the shortcut to the school.  The sun is rising and making beautiful lighting.  And today there are clouds in the big blue sky- a real rarity, usually it is very clear.  But they are just for show.  There is no rain in those clouds (and thankfully no lightning either!).

No comments:

Post a Comment