Wednesday, November 6, 2013

"My" Second Graders

When I went to volunteer to help at the schools with reading or math, what I had in mind was one or two struggling learners, or perhaps a small circle of learners getting some extra reading time while the teacher had time to focus on the larger classroom.  (The gentleman in the back right, blue shirt is one of the grade two teachers.)


That isn't what I got, and that is okay because it is turning out to be a wonderful experience with many children at Kalkfeld Primary School.


Instead, of one or two or six, I have FORTY FIVE very eager second grader learners.  I am honored because they seem to enjoy it and come even though this is their FREE period and they could be doing something more fun.


 We have combined 2A and 2B- one is a class taught in Otjiherero and the other is taught in Khosa. 


We sing a song (written on the board so they can see the words).  I read a story and we do some reading comprehension games.


We have even begun playing a modified version of "hangman"- no gallows, Wheel of Fortune, or Vanna, just fun.


Second grade is a lot fun.  First grade is fun but more of a challenge.  I found out first graders have more energy, and less attention span and impulse-control than second graders.  AND...

We combine 1A, 1B and 1C.  There are SEVENTY ONE first graders.  Pictures to be posted when I can get them to all stop moving for a minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment