Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Namibia Finally!!

Tuesday April 16
I am off on an adventure to visit in Namibia for twelve days!  I must be back in South Africa before April 30 when my visitor visa time ends, so I can check on the status of my application for a volunteer visa for South Africa.  Here are some views of the airport in Johannesburg, South Africa. I got there early to go through passport control. Sometimes being an "international traveler" is a little nerve-wracking and is not as impressive as it might seem.  But I am on my way!

 Some views of the Kalahari from the plane.  Salt pans left from water evaporation are the white spots.




 My first view of Namibia as we are landing!
Here is the airport east of Windhoek, Namibia.  Many planes, one terminal, four gates, no jetways.  Very nice, modern, and clean with very helpful people.

I met the Deacons of the Windhoek Congregational church at their meeting.  They have divided the congregation into thirteen geographic areas and the Deacons are each responsible for staying in contact, visiting and praying with the people in their area.  A great pastoral support team idea and I think matches a model for Diaconate work from Acts.  

I stayed in a very lovely home with "Auntie" Sylvia.  She loves welcoming church visitors and it really shows. She is a gourmet cook, gardens and grows her own herbs, and it was like staying in a 5 star resort with her!







No comments:

Post a Comment