Monday, April 15, 2013

Back in Johannesburg Part II

April 10 Wednesday- April 15 Monday

This week I had two fun things happen.  One was that Nicole, Leon's daughter was on break from school so she came to the office.  She found the Afrikaans tutoring game on my computer and we had fun playing with it.  Needless to say, she did better than I did. :)

I then got the opportunity to go to the quarterly workshop for seminary interns.  In the UCCSA the process toward ordination requires a master of divinity as well as a three year internship in a local church.  Some of the interns are paid full time positions, and some are self-supporting.  In comparison, my process required a master of divinity and a one year internship during which I received a small stipend.   Rev. Majaha is the director of the education process for the interns and the seminary students I visited at Kuruman in March, as well as leadership academy which are classes for both lay leaders as well as ongoing education for clergy.  The General Secretary Rev. Dr. Prince Dibeela and Rev. Dr. Cheryl Dibeela led the morning and afternoon sessions on congregationalism and mission and I really enjoyed it and learned alot.

Rev. Dr. Dibeela and my sister Rev. Muriel (who is involved with the committiee on the ordination process)

Interns are from all five of the countries in the UCCSA.
 More interns
 More interns

More interns


 Rev. Dr. Dibeela and Rev. Majaha



 Rev. Dr. Cheryl Dibeela

 Listening...

The other wonderful thing that happened is that I talked to the Secretary for the Namibia Synod Jimmy Heyman and an intern here at the meeting and found out that I will be traveling to Namibia tomorrow April 16 and returning on April 28.  My visa is still in the process and perhaps I will find out more when I visit, but tomorrow I get to go and see Namibia and visit the people there.  The plan is to spend a week in Kalkveld and Otjiwarango to meet the people I will serve with and see the place I will live, and another week visiting other places.  I am excited and will try to remember to take pictures to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment