Saturday, May 25, 2013

Trip to Durban Day 2

Tuesday May 14, 2013
Today I headed out to Pietermaritzburg and the Rev. Joey was kind enough to drive me.

First we went to the House of Formation where the UCCSA seminary students live. 

Unfortunately the ecumenical seminary project in South Africa that the UCCSA participated in (The Federated Theological Seminary) ended but we will pray that a similar partnership is established again soon.  I visited the Seth Mokitimi Methodist Seminary http://smms1.dyndns.org/index.php/about-smms (opened 2009) the students are attending.  The President, the Rev. Dr. Mvume Dandala was quite generous with his time taling with me. Unfortunately I didn't have my picture taken with him.  I did however take pictures of the chapel with amazing large doors while they were closed and then opened.







A view of the administrative building, library and cafeteria from the chapel.

Views across the outdoor ampitheatre with chapel in background.
 and with classroom building in background.


Some of the students.  The three men are first year Methodist students from Namibia and the woman in the middle is a third year UCCSA student who squired me around. Her name starts with an R, but forgive me I cannot remember the rest. I also got to meet the Rev. Ron Hewitt who is a missionary from the Church World Mission from Jamaica teaching Missiology (and doing many other things) at the University of KwaZulu-Natal School of Religion and Theology.  (again I forgot to get a picture!)

That evening we went to a Pentecost service at Rev. Joey's church and he invited me to read the scripture.
 Rev. Joey preaching.

The worship space.

Members of the congregation who attended and were very welcoming!  (Sorry I didn't get the name of the church or the spelling!)

No comments:

Post a Comment