Sunday, April 14, 2013

Trip to Botswana Day 9-10

March 27 Wednesday and March 28 Thursday
On Wednesday I did the same things as Tuesday- but I lead the devotion time in the evening.  The people were so receptive and respectful of everything I did the whole time I was in Botswana.  Of course I had to use a translator from English into Setswana.  But like Rev. Muriel, they call me Moruti- a respect-filled Setwana word for Pastor.  When they first called me that I didn't know they were talking to me!  But Muriel explained the congregation insists on a formal title and not calling her by name, and I guess I have been given the same incredible honor.  It is humbling.

While I was there I practiced using Setswana as much as I could and though I only learned a few words, they were very appreciative and complimentary, saying I had learned a lot in a very few days.  It struck me that it takes so little effort to show people respect and dignity and it is so worth it as they give it right back!

Each day of the week the youth and young adults met for hours rehearsing for the Passion of Christ play coming up on Friday.  I watched some of the rehearsals and was so impressed by the amount of work and effort they were putting in and the talent in singing and drama!



On Thursday afternoon I had the pleasure and honor of repeating a shorter version of the women's retreat on the Holy Spirit for the Women's Fellowship group.  They meet weekly, and wear their spotless uniforms to the meetings and to worship on Sunday.  We prayed and studied and sang together.  What a delightful group of faith-filled women.






Thursday evening I preached and Rev. Muriel and I and the deacons shared the Last Supper with the congregation.



And then came an incredible experience of footwashing.  Muriel and I and two of the deacons were able to engage in this amazing opportunity to serve and touch the people of the Molepolole Congregational Church.






The chief of the people in the Molepolole area is a member of the congregation volunteered to translate my sermon and I was honored by his participation and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment