Monday, February 18, 2013

still catching up

February 3, Sunday
Today I preached at Garamatale Settlement (G pronounced with an H sound) at the Schmidtsdrift Congregational Church.
View from door of Schmidtsdrift Congregational Church
I had tried to learn at least a greeting in Afrikaans but then the man who drove me Mathew told me that the congregation speaks Tsetwana.  Oh well!  It was quite an experience in coordination, and I wasn’t sure until the last minute what would happen, especially since it was my first experience preaching with an interpreter (thank you Mathew!), but the Spirit always works things out.  The people were wonderful and welcoming.  Although their building is made of corrugated metal and they called it a shack, I noted that it was lovingly maintained and the windows were long thin windows with half circles at the top; church type windows.  The weather was quite warm and I wore a sleeveless dress and a stole and no robe, and thankfully chose a seat by the window where there was a wonderful breeze.  The Deacons wore long sleeve jackets (men and women) and the women wore hats and stockings.  That would be way too hot for me!
Lead Deacon of Schmidtsdrift Congregational church in uniform
At first there were only a few of us, but by the time we really started worship the pews were full- about 50 people, mostly young women and children. 
Inside Schimidtsdrift Congregational church, wrap around wood pulpit on right.  Mathew in tan suit on right.
Schmidtsdrift Congregational Church (visitor standing with bags of clothes in front)
The head Deacon led both the worship and a congregational meeting following the worship.  She was very well spoken and very organized.  A second Deacon led the singing and she also blew a whistle as percussion.  Another woman played a bell that looked like a bicycle bell. The singing was amazing with plenty of beautiful harmony and no hymn books.  The two Deacons had worship/prayer/song books that the order of worship and liturgy was taken from.

Outside views of Schmidtsdrift Congregational Church


The children were so much fun and I tried to sing a song with them before I preached as a sort of children’s moment –This is the Day, hoping that the call and response type of song would make up for my weak song leadership.  They seemed to appreciate the effort!  Communion was a wonderful celebration and I was happy to share the blessing of a meal of unconditional love and remembrance with them using wafers and juice in small glass communion glasses.  There was no translation at this point, and I was very conscious of the words I was saying because the people listened more closely than I ever remember to the story, and about the significance of the meal we shared.  Only the adults partook in communion.  There was a family visiting from a sister church and they brought greetings and gifts of two bags of women’s and men’s clothes.

Sung greetings in semi circle
After the worship the congregation greeted me at the door.  There was a little boy who got in line three times to shake my hands and I loved it!  Then they all sang for me again.  It was so beautiful and special to me to experience their welcome.  It brought tears to my eyes to be treated so warmly. Then I had wonderful fun with the children trying to take their pictures. 


They kept trying to get closer and closer and I could not explain that they needed to stay put until I clicked the shutter.  After I showed the children the pictures we had a reprise of “This is the Day” with dancing and jumping together.  Thank you Mathew and Scmidtsdrift church!  Back to the Arnold Family house.  On the way back to Kimberly a big storm hit and the lightning was impressive!  We saw a herd of cows crossing the road just outside the town and it was a good thing they were crossing the other way because Mathew said they wouldn’t move until it stopped raining.  It was hailing so hard by the time we got to the Arnold’s home we had to sit in the car and wait for the nickel size ice balls to stop, and Joshua came out with umbrellas to rescue us. Thanks Josh! 


We had an amazing meal; Petronella out did herself with the spread!  Thank you!  The Jackson family was also there and it was a joyous fellowship time together before Florence, Brian and I had to head back to Johannesburg.


Jackson Family- note Women's Fellowship uniform
On the way we saw gold mining operations from a distance (sorry no free samples).


Thanks Brian and Florence for your hospitality on the drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment