Thursday, February 28, 2013

Catching up Part 15


February 18, 2013 Monday
Here was the surprise! We went to Sterkfontien Cave where Mrs Ples and Littlefoot were found.  This was a wonderful follow up to the trip to the Maropeng Visitor Center on Thursday.  The Visitor's Center put the cave in context. 
Our Guide at beginningof tour- the cave is out there in the veld... but those with back or heart problems or claustrophobia- stay home! 
 
Leon in the middle of the picture with members of the tour group entering cave

I wish I knew more about rocks and geology and dirt.  The cave has been dated to 200 million years??!  The humanoid fossils to 3 million years??!!  I am so fascinated by the whole concept of archeology and how they know how and where to dig.  The excavation of Littlefoot- one skeleton- 50 year's work!  And they think they might finish this spring/summer?
 
Entry to cave- glad there are lights, wish I had a flashlight!
 

While Mrs Ples was found nearer the "surface" after blasting to excavate limestone (used in gold mining), they think Littlefoot fell into a sinkhole- perhaps a 40 foot drop and died of his injuries.  Poor guy!


Little Foot's foot impression- about a woman's size 4 I'd say, but note the handy thumb.



No pictures allowed in the cave- and it was way too dark anyway- you will just have to come see it yourself!

Outside the cave- The statue is the guy who discovered Mrs Ples- if you rub his nose you get luck, if you rub his hand you get wisdom.  If you rub both you get disaster.  I chose wisdom, Leon said he was at the age where he really needed luck.  I haven't actually checked with him but I don't think either of us got our wish.  I know I am no wiser and he keeps showing up for work so he hasn't won the lottery! 
The area they were blasting for limestone when they found Mrs Ples. 



Wanted to walk the scaffolding but probably better they don't let tourists take the walk! 

This walk they do let you take and it is beautiful- Leon enjoying a nice view!

Leon and the view- the whole area is the Cradle of Humankind

I imagine this being like the crevice where Littlefoot met his unfortunate misstep, long way down and demise.
This is some of what you see inside the cave.  The layers are deposits of soil which turn into rock and show where the water receded over 200 million years!  That's one of the ways the caves were formed.  Inside there is a lake.  There were scuba divers who went in 40 km- 60 miles and one kept going to see how far the lake extended.  But he got lost and they didn't find him for weeks and by then it was too late.  They put a biodegrable die in the lake and found evidence that the lake may cover 80 km -120 miles!

Tuesday February 19, 2013
Today I went to the office and read and read and read!

Wednesday February 20, 2013
Today at 7pm I have officially been here three weeks.  I took a day off that I needed for self-care.  I went to Fatima’s salon and had a massage.  My neck and back have been really hurting so I needed it very much and it worked!  I finished the book on Namibia and started one on African Theology.  Then I went to the store and bought an apple crumb tart to share with Fatima and Nadiem at dinner to celebrate my three weeks here with them!


No comments:

Post a Comment