Monday, February 18, 2013

Catching up Part 10

February 10, Sunday

Today I worshipped just around the corner from the Sooffah Guesthouse.  I walked to church at St. Bernard’s a Union Church of the UCCSA and Presbyterian Church. They trade off, alternating calling pastors from both denomination every 5 years or so.
I was invited by Reverend Heidi Peterson to both participate in the blessing of the youth beginning confirmation class, and to give the prayer following the sermon.  It was a totally enjoyable experience of worship and a wonderful sermon in which she emphasized a different side of silence- not contemplative silence but our responsibility to those whose voices that have been silenced.  (At least that is what the Spirit spoke to me loud and clear!)

It was a very familiar setting and worship style.  Thank you Rev, Heidi and St Bernard’s church!  Thinking back and comparing my experience to last week in the Schmidtsdrift church in Garamatale Settlement, I am reminded how different our churches can be in one denomination and how God speaks no matter where or how we worship if we just listen!



I was fortunate to lunch again with Bernard Spong and this time with his wife Rykie. I was so fortunate to hear Rykie's experiences growing up in an Afrikaaner family and becoming aware of the human rights issues around her.  Such a wonderful couple and we had delicious Indian food.  Thank you Bernard and Rykie! South Africa has so much to offer in the way of the accessing the richness of many cultures, foods, languages, people from everywhere!  I am so enjoying being in this place and meeting and being welcomed and hosted by people and experiencing so much!  I am so very fortunate indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment