Monday, February 18, 2013

Catching up Part 9

February 9, Saturday

I found out that the Executive Board of the Women's Fellowship was meeting this weekend in Johannesburg and that there will be some representatives from Namibia!  So I asked and was able to go to meet with them.  It was wonderful to meet the executive board with representatives from all five countries in the denomination, and to meet the President and Secretary and a third lady from Namibia! I also got to meet with women who are on the planning committee for the women’s conference to be held in South Africa next June.  I told them I hope to be a support to the women in Kalkveld in connecting with the women of the UCCSA and the Namibia Synod.  Thank you women of the UCCSA!
This week I ate breakfast and dinner with a young woman who is a veterinary technician.  She was staying here while she took her one final class at the university toward graduation-very exciting for her!  This morning I was fortunate to meet a lecturer who has just started at the local university and is in the process of moving to Jo’burg.  Her teenage son was here visiting and has just started the experience of going to boarding school which he seems to like.

Dirk, Luke, Nadiem, Reuben, Cornell, Judy, Fatima in the Sooffah dining room

This evening I was fortunate to have dinner with Nadiem, Fatima and friend Judy from Jo’burg, and the Pieters family-friends from the Cape area who are staying here.  One of the distinct benefits of staying in a guesthouse is the people who you get to meet at meals and to get to know them and hear all the different perspectives on life.  I also got information on an Orthodox priest, Father Anthony in Namibia who is working with the Himba people in northern Namibia to build a church building in the Himba round style.  I will be interested to see if I can meet him for some ecumenical dialogue!
Father Anthony, Photo courtesy of Dirk Pieters

No comments:

Post a Comment