Monday, February 18, 2013

Catching up part 6

February 4, Monday
I think we were on the road 20 hours over three days and so I am glad that today has been a day of rest.  I have spent time trying to catch up on all the emails I have received in the last two weeks.  There was some sorrow in the guesthouse as we learned a friend of the family had died.  How do we best walk with new friends in the loss of old friends except to say I am sorry and listen?

February 5, Tuesday and February 6 Wednesday
These were meeting and getting to know days.  I met with Ayana who is the Communications and Justice Advocacy person in the office.  She is from Guyana in South America and is a missionary with the Church World Mission.  She is trained as a lawyer and after working with Church World Service in various capacities, including having travelled to South Africa before, she left her private practice to follow God’s call to serve.  She is very excited about working with UCCSA and getting the word out.  She has great plans for updating and using the various media resources: website, Facebook, newsletter, etc. and is passionate about social justice issues.  It will be wonderful to share information with her about the church in Kalkveld and the
Namibia Synod and to know what is happening in other locations in the UCCSA. 

I met with Majaha who is the Director of the Leadership Academy among other things.  I so wish I had known him when I was getting started in Field Education with the seminary and with Church and Ministry in the Eastern Association, Southern California Nevada Conference UCC!  The educational program he has been instrumental in organizing, planning, establishing, writing and coordinating for the lay leaders, the individuals in discernment and the ordained ministers is really wonderful.  I was glad to get a module or two to look at and learn about the organized process the UCCSA has for walking with their students and interns.  I was excited to hear about the conflict mediation class that will be launched later this year, but even more the enthusiasm and demand there is from the churches for education and leadership experiences.  One of the delightful surprises in meeting Majaha is learning that we have a mutual friend in Zimbabwe we both went to seminary with- Majaha in Zimbabwe and me in Claremont, CA USA- small world!!

My third meeting was with Bernard Spong and his son Peter Spong.  It was supposed to be a 1 hour lunch but three hours later we were still at it.  Bernard came as a missionary from the UK with his family in 1965 and stayed throughout the struggle against Apartheid and became a citizen.  Peter and I are age cohorts so it was wonderful to be able to hear a little about what the experience was for him growing up here.  I was so delighted and honored to hear their stories.  Thank you Bernard and Peter! I cannot wait to read Bernard’s book (Sticking Around given to me by Gail Benson- Thanks Gail!), and talk with him again.
Bernard Spong and I

No comments:

Post a Comment