Saturday, February 16, 2013

More Catching up Continued
February 1, Friday
I headed to Kuruman and the Moffat Mission on a “road trip” with a delegation from the UCCSA for the weekend and the “roll out” or “launch” of MyUCCSAplan, and to talk about the restructuring plan and Central Fund.  I rode with Florence and Brian Norris who are very active in the church, Florence as the UCCSA treasurer, and Brian with the Men’s Fellowship-involved in a building project for a church in a settlement.  They were wonderful travel companions, telling me about the UCCSA and South Africa and sharing with me about their family and themselves.

Brian and Florence Norris
Along the way I saw a curious bird which I later learned and got a picture of:  a Black Wydah; small black bird with a very long tail.  The tail looked like the tail of a kite when it was flying –flowing through the sky. 

Black Wyday- see the long tail?!

Black Wydah up close
Also saw a “abnormal” load, (wide load) a different term which tickled my fancy. I swear I saw a cow striped brown like a zebra which we think was a nguni cow as the car sped down the road, and an informal settlement of people who have tried to find a place to live. 


Then we saw a car going very slowly which turned out to be the other group in the convoy having car trouble in the UCCSA car, limping along.  We followed and they were able to make it to Vintersdorp, where we ate at Wimpi’s while they waited for Thomas to bring Basil’s car since it was the weekend and there were no available rental cars in the area.
Florence, Majaha, Brian, Prince, Basil, Ayana (left to right)

We three got back on the road and the sky was incredible!  No clouds and no light, so more stars than I think I have ever seen.  I wish my camera could have captured it but I know nothing would have shown up, and when you can see whole sky-horizon to horizon-is full of stars, where do you point the lens????  The B & B was very nice and although I wanted to take pictures I was too tired to remember!  But I can't complain as the others didn't get in until midnight or so and I think Thomas didn't get back to J'oburg on the bus until 2:30!

No comments:

Post a Comment