Saturday, February 16, 2013


More Catching up!
Thursday Jan 31
Another day in beautiful Johannesburg, South Africa!  Obviously I arrived safe and sound and everything has gone wonderfully.  The weather is mostly perfect for me, although those who don't care for warm weather wouldn't agree.  There have been amazing thunder, lightning and hail storms.  The first one on the night I arrived, and I had to stay up and watch it from the shelter of my room.  I have been traveling, listening, experiencing and enjoying meeting new people and seeing new places.  I have taken pictures and hope to add them, but I have gotten way behind on my plan to post to this blog.  Oh well, I do have notes and will be adding more!  Send your questions and comments.


I am staying at the Sooffah (place of rest) Guest house, a wonderful restful place to vacation!  There is a beautiful garden and pool, comfortable pretty room.  There are amazing lighting and thunderstorms that interfere with the television reception. Rained so hard I thought it was hailing for about 1/2 hour (and after my experience on 2/3/13 I know it might have been!) I am being taken care of by wonderful people who insist I eat protein (being a vegetarian is going to be difficult).  Fatima and Nadeem have been good new friends in many ways, including the loan of an electrical adapter and the use of their wifi.  They lived in southern Namibia for several years and so they are giving me good insight from their experience.  On the advice of several people I will not purchase a phone until I get to Namibia.  I can’t believe how many times a day I have already looked for it to check my email, text, call someone or at least make sure I haven’t lost it.  It is an addiction!  I am settling in I did not experience too much jet lag, though I have to be adjust to the altitude having lived at sea level for 25 years. The weather is summer awesome and I am in sandals and no sleeves.  Spent the day meeting the staff of the United Congregational Church of Southern Africa, our Global Ministries partner.
Ayana, Communications and Justice Advocacy, a fellow missionary but she is from Church World Mission and is from Guyana, South America
Leon, Thomas, Gavin, MonaLisa, Lola and Cindi (From left back)
Rev. Majaha, Leadership Academy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment