Saturday, March 16, 2013

Catching up Part 23


March 3, Sunday

Today I was the guest preacher at Wrenchville Congregational Church.  I was very nervous with only an outline and no printed sermon.  I needed more space to spread out my stuff on the lectern and I had to use my glasses for the first time since I did not enlarge the print.  I also used a Bible I was not familiar with.  I felt unprepared and I learned a lot about being more flexible and letting go and trusting the Spirit.  The people were very gracious and welcoming.  I also celebrated communion with them and found something different.  Three people sit at the communion table- two deacons and the pastor.  This evokes the image of Jesus with two disciples on the road to Emmaeus sitting with them and being revealed to them after his resurrection, rather than focusing on the remembrance of the last supper.  They used a formal communion liturgy as well.  Each church I have been in uses a little different way of doing things but in some ways they seem more formal than I am familiar with- after the scripture reading the liturgist says, "the word of God," and the people respond, "thanks be to God."  In some ways they seem less formal- especially the spontaneous singing which occurs whenever there is a break in the activity- in worship and in church meetings. And yet each church has a different style and different access to resources.  (Not all churches have access to printing every Sunday or even hymn books or Bibles).  Ah the congregational church is a wonderful and unique thing in all its manifestations!
The plaque says the cornerstone for the new sanctuary was laid March 2007 under the leadership of Rev. Tim Colvin who was a missionary.  The old sanctuary is now used as classrooms for Sunday School and as a fellowship hall.
These pictures are all taken before worship and before most people had arrived.  Note the white lace tablecloth covering the elements and the whole communion table.  The little boy in the plaid shirt decided to run and slide up and down the aisle during the sermon.  It looked quite fun (though a little dangerous) and I wished I could join him rather than preach.  The children were all delightful.

On the wall above the door is a banner made by First Christian Church (DOC) in Hot Springs, AZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment