Saturday, March 16, 2013

Catching up Part 19

Monday February 25-  Thursday February 28
I spent the days this week in the office.  I was invited to go next week and to be a guest lecturer on mission,  missionaries and the church for the UCCSA House of Formation with seminary students at the Moffat Mission in Kuruman!  And to be a guest preacher as well.  So I hit the UCCSA library and began preparing for the trip and experience.  Very exciting!

Also...
On Monday Nolene also treated me to a Chinese massage.  It was quite the experience with the acupressure, acupuncture and manipulation they do.  The good news is that my neck and left shoulder feel better than they have in years and it has lasted!!  Afterwards Nolene, Leon, Nicole and Madelena (Nolene's 6 year old niece/Nicole's cousin) treated me for pizza.  The crust was paper thin and there was tons of cheese and the toppings were everything from traditional to seafood and avocados.  Very good!

On Thursday Leon loaned me a UCCSA phone for my trip for emergencies.  I couldn’t figure it out.  It was like I had never seen a phone before.  Connection with the world- and yet I have no idea how to use it and of course no phone numbers!  I don’t know the US international code and I am sure there isn’t enough time on the phone to use it for anything except emergencies.  So I won't be calling anyone soon!

On Friday night I had dinner with the UCCSA President Basil Manning, his companion Wendy, Nadiem, and Fatima- shrimp currie and calamari patties.  I had never had calamari patties, just the strips and don't like them because they are too rubbery/chewy. The patties tasted okay, but found I am just not that fond of it.  Although it was cooked just right it is still not something for me.  The shrimp curry was good and not tooooo hot.  I am learning to enjoy more spices, and am very happy to try just about anything, once.  And I have found if all else fails I will never starve here- they have my old favorite- PB & J.
Couldn't write an entire blog entry without a picture.  Here is a zebra!  When I first got here I saw one of these and tried to get a picture, telling Leon, "I have to get a picture, it's my first zebra in South Africa!"  I think that is when he knew that all the rumors were true- Americans ARE crazy and this one is really bonkers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment