Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Finale


I had the opportunity to be present as a congregation said goodbye to their Pastor.  

Before I came to Southern Africa I learned there was a woman Pastor serving in the Lutheran church in Kalkfeld, in the Location with people who are primarily Ovambu and Damara.  I was very happy to think I might be able to work with her!

When I visited in April she was not in Kalkveld because she was sick, so I did not get to meet her.  People spoke very highly of her and I was even more excited.
  
When I arrived in June in Kalkfeld I heard that she had not been able to return because she was "too sick to live in Kalkfeld."
  
A short while later we heard that indeed she was too sick for this world and had journeyed on to the next.  She was 36.  I never even learned her name.

I got a ride with Helga, a member of our congregation to the Location (about at 50 minute walk on the other side of Kalkfeld from where I live).  The memorial service was to start at 6:00 pm so we arrived at 5:45 pm so we could get a seat.

There were people lining the road with candles singing hymns to welcome the Pastor's coffin.  It was quite beautiful and touching.

I was trying to be unobtrusive because I had never met the Pastor or any of the members of the congregation, and I knew the service could be a long one. I didn't want to stay the whole time because we had Helga's children with us.  I had worn my clergy collar and made a point to  meet the retired Lutheran minister who was there before the service began.  I planned to sit in the back and slip out when it was time to put the children to bed.
  
The coffin arrived at 6:45 (It brought to mind the adage that it is always good to be late to your own funeral- sorry I just have that kind of sense of humor).  The people packed into the church, and then they came and found me and brought me up front.  (The Lutheran church is the most populous denomination in Namibia and in Kalkfeld I think.)

The service started around 7:15 with some beautiful singing but not much else happened.  I found out why when the Bishop arrived at 7:45.  Then the people began coming up in groups and surrounding the coffin singing- songs and hymns to her.  

There were also several groups and individuals who spoke about her.  Then at 8:45 the Bishop started preaching.  He finished around 10:00.  

More singing ensued.  Everything was in Damara, Ovambu and I think a smattering of Afrikaans.

At 10:30 I was able to say my farewells to the Bishop and retired minister and crawled home.  Well actually I was very grateful that my ride and her children had waited for me, even though the children were now going to be very tired for school the next morning!  It was well worth the long evening to be there and see how loved this Pastor was in life and beyond and to celebrate her ministry with the people.



The Bishop was very nice and said hello although I don't think he had much English.  I did like the purple of his robes!


This ends the tale of the first month in Namibia and Kalkfeld.  The sunset is a gift from God every night but I thought this one was especially nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment